What do I mean by topic challenges? Basically, this: How do weekly topic challenges work?. Every week or so, someone (for example, me) makes a post here on meta about a topic to encourage people to ask questions on a particular topic.
Until now I’ve been running a similar thing over on /r/conlangs, but there it was more about open discussions, and kinda not very successful. However, I feel like doing so here could increase overall activity on the site. In addition, I would have an excuse to advertize the StackExchange on the subreddit once a week, telling people to come here if they have a question on a particular topic.
Some example topics might be:
- Various linguistics topics such as Morphosyntactic Alignment or Tense/Aspect/Moods/Evidentiality
- Connections between worldbuilding and conlangs (e.g. “How might languages in setting X be different”, “non-human languages”)
- “Everything about loglangs”
- Questions about a particular popular conlang
- “Developing writing systems”
If the idea is well-received, I shall assemble an actual list of topics and start next week. If not, back to the drawing board :)